25 48 1sthospital orig


Location: The marker (top image) was originally placed by St. Vincent Medical Center near the Cherry Street entrance to the parking area opposite Frederick Street, Toledo.  The replacement (bottom) is now on Vermont Ave in front of Main Hospital entrance.

Google Street View (for current location)

Text: St. Vincent’s Hospital, renamed the St. Vincent Medical Center in 1983, was founded in 1855 by the Sisters of Charity of Montreal, the "Grey Nuns." They came, following the 1854 cholera epidemic, in answer to a plea from a local Catholic priest "to raise orphans and help cure the sick." The facility has been located at this site since 1858.

St. Vincent’s has pioneered many of Toledo’s medical "firsts", among which are:

1869: First school of nursing which was Ohio’s first Catholic school of nursing.

1915: First hospital to install x-ray equipment.


25 48 1sthospital repl

1955: First hospital to have a department of nuclear medicine.

1967: First Burn Unit in NW Ohio.

1975: First to have hospital-based alcoholism treatment center.

1979: First area Life Flight service.


Image Credit: Remarkable Ohio, Toledo's First Hospital (25-48)



Toledo's Attic and all contents herein are to be used for educational and scholarly purposes. U.S. and international copyright laws protect digital contents in this collection. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. Toledo's Attic by www.toledosattic.org is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.toledosattic.org.